Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A mass of cells and fluid that has seeped out of blood vessels or an organ, especially in inflammation.
ooze, trickle, exude, drip, dribble, flow, issue, discharge, excrete, escape, leak, drain, bleed, sweat, well, leach, filter, percolate, permeate, soakView synonyms
- ‘A similar reaction was present in the left ovary surrounding an abscess cavity containing purulent exudate and surrounded by dense fibrosis and chronic inflammation.’
- ‘More severe inflammation of the mucosa is readily evident as erythema, intramucosal hemorrhage, exudate, or ulceration.’
- ‘Swabs of wound exudate are self-descriptive and are usually taken before cleansing the wound.’
- ‘Histologically, no cardial brain abscesses show purulent exudate surrounded by variable amounts of fibrosis.’
- ‘To be included in the analysis, patients had to have at least three of the following conditions concomitantly: fever, tonsillar exudate, tender anterior cervical lymph nodes and absence of cough.’
A substance secreted by a plant or insect.
- ‘Alkaline phosphatase is not at all, or only in small amounts present in root exudates of vascular plants.’
- ‘The chemical properties of plant litter and exudates strongly influence many chemical properties of soils that are critical to ecosystem functioning.’
- ‘Cytokinins were analysed in leaf extracts, leaf phloem exudate and in the shoot apical meristem at different times during floral transition.’
- ‘Moreover, the composition of exudates produced by glandular trichomes may change with leaf age.’
- ‘Independently, root pressure xylem exudate from detopped stem bases was also collected at the time of harvest.’
Late 19th century: from Latin exsudat- exuded, from the verb exsudare.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.