One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
usually as modifier The maximum or minimum value of a function.‘extremum principles’
- ‘Trajectories x that solve Newton's equations are those that are extrema of the action A = [integral operator] L (x, v (t)) dt.’
- ‘The first step in solving such equations by the variational method is to show that the extremum is attained.’
- ‘The extrema displayed in this figure reflect the rigidity property of the protein.’
- ‘Correlation coefficients showed multiple local extrema with a global maximum, and success in tracking generally relies on the presence of such a maximum at the correct x-y location within each search area.’
- ‘The average concentration of the two extrema was taken to represent the average value of the metabolites during the oscillations.’
Early 20th century: from Latin, neuter of extremus ‘utmost’ (see extreme).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.