Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The holding of extreme political or religious views; fanaticism.‘the dangers of religious extremism’
fanaticism, radicalism, zealotry, zeal, fundamentalism, dogmatism, bigotry, militancy, activismsectarianism, chauvinism, partisanshipView synonyms
- ‘No other country possesses so many laws against right-wing extremism as Germany.’
- ‘Otherwise their anger and frustration can lead to religious extremism.’
- ‘That is why we need less extremism and pulling other people down for political gain in Government.’
- ‘The fanatics turn to extremism, which has really no basis in the true religion at all.’
- ‘To deny certain levels of anti-social behaviour invites absolute extremism.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.