One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Found in or taking place outside the solar system.‘at just 30 light years from Earth, it's one of the closest known extrasolar planets’‘many sci-fi authors have assumed that faster-than-light travel and/or extrasolar exploration would become possible in the future’
- ‘The first definitive extrasolar planet around a main sequence star was announced on 6 October 1995 by Michel Mayor and Didier Queloz; the star was 51 Pegasi.’
- ‘Nevertheless, this unique observing technique opens a new phase in the exploration of exoplanets, or extrasolar planets, say astronomers.’
- ‘By the early twenty-first century, extrasolar planets have been found orbiting almost seventy solar-mass stars in the nearby region of the galaxy.’
- ‘The creation interpretation affects our understanding of the origin of our solar system and of extrasolar planets.’
- ‘Based on extrasolar planet discoveries in our own stellar neighborhood, astronomers predicted that seventeen planets should have been discovered.’
1950s: from extra- + solar.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.