One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A meeting of the members or shareholders of a club, company, or other organization, held at short notice, especially in order to consider a particular matter.
- ‘As a result of the overwhelming support received by CLP at the extraordinary general meeting of member clubs in June, most US cricketers had expected CLP to take decisive action.’
- ‘This week the club committee was considering the bid, and an extraordinary general meeting for the club's 350 members will be held next Tuesday.’
- ‘An extraordinary general meeting of members on February 4 will be asked by the board to agree the company should go into voluntary liquidation.’
- ‘The assets sales program is part of the company's rescue program that is awaiting approval from its extraordinary general meeting of shareholders next week.’
- ‘Members also decided to stop trading on January 20 and an extraordinary general meeting of members on February 4 will take the final decision on liquidation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.