One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A meeting of the members or shareholders of a club, company, or other organization, held at short notice, especially in order to consider a particular matter.
- ‘Members also decided to stop trading on January 20 and an extraordinary general meeting of members on February 4 will take the final decision on liquidation.’
- ‘An extraordinary general meeting of members on February 4 will be asked by the board to agree the company should go into voluntary liquidation.’
- ‘As a result of the overwhelming support received by CLP at the extraordinary general meeting of member clubs in June, most US cricketers had expected CLP to take decisive action.’
- ‘This week the club committee was considering the bid, and an extraordinary general meeting for the club's 350 members will be held next Tuesday.’
- ‘The assets sales program is part of the company's rescue program that is awaiting approval from its extraordinary general meeting of shareholders next week.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.