One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
postpositive Outstanding in a particular capacity.‘the noted Hollywood middleman extraordinaire’
- ‘By repute a procrastinator extraordinaire, the Irishman insists he remains on the trail of the same transfer targets he earmarked at the beginning of the summer.’
- ‘Since comedienne extraordinaire Joan Rivers drifted back to the United States, Edinburgh has been a much less entertaining place.’
- ‘Julia Child, an American and chef extraordinaire, has died at the age of 91.’
- ‘But for me, good old reliable David, door opener extraordinaire, will always be the invisible man and the person I like to call my role model.’
- ‘When it's too hot or too rainy even to visit the park with the kids, a stash of arts and crafts supplies and a few treats extraordinaire may very well save your sanity.’
1940s: French, ‘extraordinary’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.