Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of an action or situation) beyond the province of the law.‘there were extralegal means through which to render the NAACP impotent’
- ‘The main extralegal means of tenure is squatting.’
- ‘These were extralegal considerations, irrelevant, impure.’
- ‘The side effect is an extralegal economy; for example, the ‘construction industry’ was slumping in Peru, yet concrete was being sold at a record rate because of the extralegal construction going on.’
- ‘Furthermore, the elders never gave any indication of being aware that their actions were extralegal, if not illegal.’
- ‘Its participants drew on an American tradition of collective organization and crowd action which held extralegal activity to be legitimate when justice was otherwise elusive.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.