Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Situated, occurring, or originating outside the Milky Way galaxy:‘extragalactic radio sources’
- ‘Astronomers can determine the composition and temperature of extragalactic material by analyzing the way radiation passing through it is distributed along an infrared spectrum.’
- ‘And on extragalactic scales, they even expect to study individual stars around black holes.’
- ‘The number of these sources is consistent with the expected number of extragalactic sources in the background sky.’
- ‘Hence the whole foundation of extragalactic astronomy and Big Bang theory is swept away’ .’
- ‘It is definitely an extragalactic background.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.