Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Situated or occurring outside the body:‘extracorporeal membrane oxygenation’
- ‘Despite postoperative extracorporeal membrane oxygenation, he arrested several times and eventually died of multiorgan failure.’
- ‘She developed respiratory distress at birth requiring placement on a ventilator, that progressively worsened, eventually requiring placement onto extracorporeal membrane oxygenation.’
- ‘An example of such a process was the United Kingdom extracorporeal membrane oxygenation collaborative trial in neonates.’
- ‘In one trial, inhaled nitric oxide reduced the need for extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in neonates without increasing neurodevelopmental, behavioral or medical abnormalities at two years of age.’
- ‘Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation with extracorporeal warming is the gold standard treatment for patients with profound hypothermia.’
- 1.1 Denoting a technique of lithotripsy using shock waves generated externally.
- ‘The other so-called revolutionary treatment is extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy, where gallstones are crushed by sound waves.’
- ‘Renal calculi less than 2 cm in size can generally be treated with extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy.’
- ‘Another approach, extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy, uses shock waves to break up the stones into tiny pieces that can then pass easily out of the system.’
- ‘Such procedures include magnetic resonance imaging, which is often used to evaluate internal organs, and extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy, which uses shock waves to break up large kidney stones.’
- ‘Another method that may be applicable is the use of shock waves generated by extracorporeal lithotripters or lasers.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.