Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The DNA of a cytoplasmic organelle, such as a mitochondrion or chloroplast, responsible for cytoplasmic inheritance.
- ‘The transgene array in PD3815 is inherited as an extrachromosomal element.’
- ‘The latter two are extrachromosomal elements of sizes 35 and 6kb, respectively.’
- ‘If, on the other hand, excision occurs by 1-bp staggered cuts, we expect that only the first nucleotide flanking the extrachromosomal element will correspond to the donor site.’
- ‘If resident extrachromosomal elements are responsible for the amplification effect, then that effect should be eliminated if donor strains are previously cured.’
- ‘The difficulty of removing the amplified gene by repeated backcrossings may suggest the presence of an extrachromosomal element, as often observed in other protozoa.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.