One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A further period of play added on to a game if the scores are equal.‘England won in extra time’
postponement, deferral, delayView synonyms
- ‘Having said that it may offer us a little advantage if the game goes into extra time or there is a penalty shoot-out.’
- ‘Our goalkeeper kept us in the game in extra time and when it came to the penalty kicks we managed to score all five.’
- ‘Dellas scores in the dying seconds of the first extra time period from a Greek corner.’
- ‘However, it was a brief reprieve as Tranmere scored again in extra time to secure the win.’
- ‘Then when it looked as if the game would go into extra time, Parkville scored two goals.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.