One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A fielding position between cover point and mid-off but further from the wicket.
- ‘The Hollywood touch was delivered after lunch when Vettori, fielding at extra cover, caught Brendan Taylor in Zimbabwe's second innings to earn James Franklin one of his five wickets.’
- ‘Simon Roe then strode to the wicket and promptly dispatched his first ball over extra cover for a six to win the game with two balls to spare.’
- ‘Hoggard took the second over, the field for Hayden set to a plan, with Vaughan at short mid-off, and Strauss at short extra cover in addition to his slips and gully.’
- ‘There were runs to be had from the wicket though, and when Jones lofted Murtagh over extra cover in the eighth over, the tension was released.’
- ‘Keedy claimed some revenge when Bicknell, after helping Tudor to add 35 for the ninth wicket, drove him straight to David Byas at short extra cover.’
- 1.1 A fielder at extra cover.
- ‘The ball fell just out of the reach of the grasping extra cover.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.