Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A consequence of an industrial or commercial activity which affects other parties without this being reflected in market prices, such as the pollination of surrounding crops by bees kept for honey.
consequence, result, upshot, outcome, out-turn, effect, repercussion, reverberations, sequel, product, by-product, spin-off, conclusion, end, end resultView synonyms
- ‘Network externalities occur when markets characterized by network effects fail to allocate resources properly.’
- ‘But ASI forgets that economic activity produces externalities; real costs to third parties.’
- ‘The first is to address negative externalities that aren't reflected in market prices.’
- ‘Governments can set water prices but this will only achieve efficient prices if the environmental externalities can be measured accurately.’
- ‘In contrast, standards and network externalities do not affect biotechnology industry dynamics.’
[mass noun] The fact of existing outside the perceiving subject.
- ‘Furthermore, Bourdieu speaks of habitus, a social space and a disposition to act in certain ways, which is the result of the internalization of externality and the externalization of interiority.’
- ‘Moreover, a theoretical link has been established between externality and the etiology of depression.’
- ‘It is desire that opens up the moment of externality, or the reaching beyond the limits of the subject.’
- ‘This fracturing of the sovereign self signals the demise of that spectacular and unique persona and the displacement of regal externality by what Francis Barker has called ‘an interior subjectivity.’’
- ‘And there is a particular kind of negative externality.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.