One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An instrument for measuring the deformation of a material under stress.
- ‘Testing is carried out using a constant cross head speed, and elongation to fracture measured with a 50-mm gage length extensometer.’
- ‘Instrumentation and monitoring within the tunnels will be effected through such means as inclinometers, extensometers, strain gauges, load cells, instrumented rock bolts, and standard convergence and deformation measurements.’
- ‘Expansin activity was assayed as described earlier using a custom made extensometer.’
- ‘With such extensometer, the fiber's central zone is stretched without any displacement and can be analyzed by x-ray diffraction without moving the beam.’
- ‘Column covers are fitted with T-slots to allow compatibility with various accessories, such as grips, fixtures, extensometers, and chambers.’
Late 19th century: from Latin extens- ‘extended’ (from the verb extendere) + -meter.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.