Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A tube fitted to a camera between the body and lens to shorten the distance of closest focus of an object so that close-up pictures can be taken.
- ‘An extension tube radically reduces that minimum focal distance.’
- ‘I have been there when the Puffins are so close that you couldn't even focus on them with a 300 mm F2.8, without using an extension tube.’
- ‘If you are using a camera like these, an extension tube or a close-up lens is the ideal tool.’
- ‘I would also get some extension tubes, you can use these on both of the zoom lenses.’
- ‘Available options include infrared LED spotlights, backlights, and lenses for cameras from 6 to 75 mm, plus filters and extension tubes.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.