One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person or thing that extends something.
- ‘The idea is that you take your remote control with you, aim at the IR remote control extender which is in the same room, and this will relay the IR signal and control the remote appliance for you.’
- ‘Extender technology is built into home entertainment devices such as TVs, DVD players, and cool, quiet components that allow you to keep your PC where it makes sense.’
- 1.1 A substance added to a product such as paint or glue, to dilute its colour or increase its bulk.
- ‘Finely divided almond shell flour is used as an extender in plywood- and laminating-adhesives, alone or in combination with other, different, vegetable shell flours.’
- ‘I am doing a study on the use of calcium carbonate as an extender in paint production.’
- 1.2Photography another term for extension tube
- ‘Unfortunately usually the distance is such that I need my 1.4x extender much more than an extension tube.’
- ‘The lens and extender combo can always be used in manual focus mode.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.