Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The removal of material from a body cavity (especially the lung) by blowing:‘only 7.7% of patients required exsufflation or drainage’
- ‘Any delay in exsufflation and treatment can prove to be fatal.’
- ‘After exsufflation, secretions and mucus plugs are carried into the mouth and facemask.’
- ‘Modifications of the principle of exsufflation have been developed to increase the effectiveness of the method.’
- ‘A useful alternative to tracheal suctioning is the intervention provided by mechanical exsufflation.’
- ‘Throughout the duration of exsufflation the membrane valve in the three-way connector is activated.’
2rare The action or process of breathing out; exhalation.
emission, giving off, emanation, dischargeView synonyms
- ‘After exsufflation of about 260 ml of air the pressure became negative.’
- ‘The deflation starts simultaneously in both lungs, but after half a second, a limited exsufflation, a trapping slowly develops.’
- ‘The maximum flow reached during the exsufflation was analyzed.’
- 2.1Theology The action of blowing as a form of exorcism or to symbolize renunciation of the devil:‘sometimes the exorcist used the rite of exsufflation’
- ‘Luther retained the customary prebaptismal ceremonies of exsufflation, the giving of salt, and anointing.’
- ‘In exsufflation the devil is blown out who holds the little one guilty by infection of sin.’
- ‘The Church would neither exorcise the children of the faithful nor subject them to the rite of exsufflation.’
- ‘Allusion is here made to the rite of exsufflation which formed a part of the early baptismal service.’
Early 16th century: late Latin, from the verb exsufflare, from ex- out + sufflare to blow.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.