Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Cause to protrude.‘an exserted stigma’
- ‘The exserted stamens and feathery stigma branches, unique in the family, along with the preference of most species for open habitats, suggests wind pollination.’
- ‘On the basis of the phylogenic relationships, autogamous species most likely evolved from self-incompatibility ancestors that have exserted stigmas.’
- ‘All three subspecies are white flowering with a tubular corolla and a long style that exserts the stigma from the corolla tube.’
- ‘The flowers lack petals and display 8 prominently exserted stamens and a single exserted style.’
- ‘In flowers of short-styled individuals, the top of the stigma is located just above the midpoint of the corolla tube and stamens are slightly exserted.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin exsert- put forth, from the verb exserere (see exert).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.