One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a person's face or voice) not conveying any emotion; unemotional.‘her face was expressionless’
inscrutable, unreadable, deadpan, poker-faceddull, dry, toneless, monotonous, drab, boring, tedious, flat, static, wooden, unmodulated, unvarying, undemonstrative, devoid of emotion, devoid of feelingView synonyms
- ‘In all the other passport style photos I had done I was always trying not to smile and just look expressionless.’
- ‘She was just still and quiet, watching people walk past with bags of Christmas shopping with an expressionless face.’
- ‘On stage, as the band around him rocks the crowd, he stands there motionless, expressionless.’
- ‘In these, and all matters, Laursen's expressionless tone and apparent insouciance can be misleading.’
- ‘Dressed in a blue jacket and blue shirt, he remained expressionless when the verdict was returned.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.