Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who explores a new or unfamiliar area.‘a polar explorer’
traveller, discoverer, voyager, rambler, globetrotter, rovertourer, surveyor, scout, reconnoitrer, prospectoradventurer, pioneergallivanterView synonyms
- ‘It must be about as close as we can now get to the feeling of discovery experienced by those who really were the intrepid explorers of the past.’
- ‘The early European navigators and explorers mostly undertook their voyages at the behest of kings in search of wealth.’
- ‘He was, as it turned out, not far off the mark and so must have gathered information from early travellers and unsung explorers.’
- ‘For instance, I am an ardent mountaineer and I have also been a polar explorer and a frequent traveller to Greenland.’
- ‘Travelling further than any explorers had done before, they paid the price when the ship became trapped in ice.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.