One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The act of making amends or reparation for guilt or wrongdoing; atonement.‘an act of public expiation’
atonement, redemption, redress, reparation, restitution, recompense, requital, purgation, penanceView synonyms
- ‘The attempted assassination was an act both of expiation and of restitution.’
- ‘It's a wraparound justification for a violence whose real end is the expiation of shame through massacre.’
- ‘The Fast of Atonement was instituted in expiation of a mortal sin and observed as a day of penance and mourning.’
- ‘Even supposing that punishment may effectively protect us in the future, we consider that it must be, in the first place, an expiation of the past.’
- ‘It needed expiation - atonement to remove guilt and the liability of punishment.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.