Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Involving or based on what is expedient.‘an expediential policy’
- ‘Action is an effort to produce certain consequences and is therefore essentially expediential.’
- ‘He based his case on two arguments, one scriptural and one expediential.’
- ‘Fontinell deplores the misconceptions of Pragmatism which characterize the movement as “a kind of unfeeling, unprincipled, non-idealistic, expediental response to human problems”.’
- ‘Human beings construct their politics in terms of pragmatic, expediential goals.’
- ‘Timing itself is critical: a war or violent event in itself enhances the expediental ethic and leads to callousness.’
Mid 19th century: from expedient + -ial.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.