Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Involving or based on what is expedient.‘an expediential policy’
- ‘He based his case on two arguments, one scriptural and one expediential.’
- ‘Human beings construct their politics in terms of pragmatic, expediential goals.’
- ‘Timing itself is critical: a war or violent event in itself enhances the expediental ethic and leads to callousness.’
- ‘Fontinell deplores the misconceptions of Pragmatism which characterize the movement as “a kind of unfeeling, unprincipled, non-idealistic, expediental response to human problems”.’
- ‘Action is an effort to produce certain consequences and is therefore essentially expediential.’
Mid 19th century: from expedient + -ial.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.