One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
With an excited feeling that something is about to happen, especially something good.‘she waited expectantly for his answer’‘he looked expectantly at his friend’
- ‘He folded his arms across his chest and stared expectantly at his boss, who was staring back with an expression of suspicion on his face.’
- ‘Clutching a photocopied imprint of his face as my guide, I spot him hovering expectantly near the bar at Pastis, a French bistro in Manhattan's trendy Meat Packing District.’
- ‘They stood expectantly by the kerbside, and they stared with eager anticipation along the street.’
- ‘Everyone in the Australian music business has been expectantly waiting to see if Delta could repeat her phenomenal local success in the UK.’
- ‘Expectantly, Anna Reynolds regarded the young lady.’
- ‘I stood in front of him and waited expectantly.’
- ‘A woman hurried out from another room, wiping her hands on her apron, and smiled expectantly at him.’
- ‘Mr. Gardiner looked expectantly at the girls across the dinner table.’
- ‘He sat expectantly, mostly silently, while we wrote, read what we had written, commented to each other about our writing.’
- ‘They gazed up eagerly, expectantly, cheekily.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.