One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A joint that makes allowance for thermal expansion of the parts joined without distortion.
- ‘The change in deck structure required an expansion joint to avoid problems with differential movement.’
- ‘In the portion of the building that remained standing to the north of the expansion joint, the slab and second-floor columns were heavily damaged.’
- ‘Provide an expansion joint by removing the mortar along the joint down to the concrete, and use polyurethane caulk to fill the joint.’
- ‘An expansion joint connects that bay to the penultimate bay from the original design.’
- ‘So began a painstaking operation to replace bolts and an expansion joint on the carriageway taking traffic out of the city, which was completed in 1969.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.