One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bolt that expands when inserted, no thread being required in the surrounding material.
- ‘While most find electric pylons an eyesore, for Brower even a climber's expansion bolt left in the mountain is offensive - an ‘ego-bolt’, as he calls it.’
- ‘Three types of floor anchors exist: cast-in-place coil, post-installed expansion bolts, and post-installed self-threading bolts.’
- ‘He participated in the first ascent of New Mexico's Shiprock; later, as an environmentalist, he would lament the rock damage caused by the expansion bolts and pitons used on the climb.’
- ‘This ascent took ‘45 days spread over a period of 18 months; a total of 675 pitons and 125 expansion bolts were used.’’
- ‘He was climbing in an era before it became acceptable to drill expansion bolts directly into the rock for protection.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.