Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The custom of marrying outside a community, clan, or tribe.Compare with endogamy
- ‘Male exogamy was slightly higher than female exogamy for the same period and occurred most frequently among third-generation Mexican Americans.’
- ‘Individual choice is constrained by kin group exogamy.’
- ‘The practice of clan exogamy - or marriage outside of the clan or group - is typical, however, of almost all ethnic groups.’
- ‘These clans maintained strict exogamy, so wives may be brought in from elsewhere.’
- ‘Social disapproval of ethnic exogamy is lessening, though the government unofficially discourages it.’
The fusion of reproductive cells from distantly related or unrelated individuals; cross-pollination.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.