Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The custom of marrying outside a community, clan, or tribe.Compare with endogamy
- ‘These clans maintained strict exogamy, so wives may be brought in from elsewhere.’
- ‘Individual choice is constrained by kin group exogamy.’
- ‘Social disapproval of ethnic exogamy is lessening, though the government unofficially discourages it.’
- ‘Male exogamy was slightly higher than female exogamy for the same period and occurred most frequently among third-generation Mexican Americans.’
- ‘The practice of clan exogamy - or marriage outside of the clan or group - is typical, however, of almost all ethnic groups.’
The fusion of reproductive cells from distantly related or unrelated individuals; cross-pollination.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.