Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A process by which the contents of a cell vacuole are released to the exterior through fusion of the vacuole membrane with the cell membrane.
- ‘Synaptic nerve terminals and neuroendocrine cells rely on continuous vesicle cycling to support sustained exocytosis and transmitter release.’
- ‘Membrane fusion is a key event in many essential cell processes, such as exocytosis, endocytosis, membrane recycling, protein sorting and transport, fertilization, and cell division.’
- ‘In the studies cited, only the intensity of fluorescence was used to observe the metabolism, exocytosis and phagocytosis of cells.’
- ‘Planar-supported membranes provide an interesting and very useful new approach to study the complex molecular machinery of exocytosis and membrane fusion.’
- ‘Urea and lysozyme secretion were dose dependent in all groups, suggesting that serous cell exocytosis was one source of urea after neural stimulation.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.