One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting glands which secrete their products through ducts opening on to an epithelium rather than directly into the blood.‘pancreatic exocrine secretion’
- ‘There are 4-5 million exocrine glands in the body and approximately one-third of them are in the palms.’
- ‘The ovaries perform both an exocrine function by producing ova and an endocrine function by producing estrogen and progesterone.’
- ‘In a separate but related system, exocrine tissues secrete their products into ducts and then to the outside of the body or to the intestinal tract.’
- ‘Cystic fibrosis, a chronic genetic disorder that affects the exocrine glands, results in the production of excessive, thick mucus that obstructs the gastrointestinal tract and the lungs.’
- ‘Pancreatic juice, an exocrine secretion, is vital for digestion.’
Early 20th century: from exo- ‘outside’ + Greek krinein ‘sift’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.