One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A document giving authorization to leave a particular country.
- ‘She secured an exit visa to spend a few months as a fellow at Radcliffe's Bunting Institute, a sort of think tank for women.’
- ‘Succeeding in his quest for an exit visa he now lives in New York.’
- ‘In retaliation, her former employers declined to sanction her exit visa and so, when I visited her, she was stuck there while the lawyers tried to thrash out the problem.’
- ‘Although the Hungarian foreign ministry gave its approval, hardliners in the interior ministry refused to grant an exit visa.’
- ‘Elena had just told him that she was unable to get an exit visa so she could meet him in Moscow.’
- ‘Then fortunately my exit visa came through and I was given 48 hours to leave the country or I would be redrafted.’
- ‘His sentence is a ban on giving dance classes for life and a ten-year suspended jail term; he was also denied an exit visa from Iran for ten years.’
- ‘In any case, in 1924 Olga's little daughter, her mother, her sister and her niece received exit permits from the Soviet Union.’
- ‘In the end, Philo and his wife had to be smuggled out of the country, as their exit visas had been cancelled.’
- ‘Within two years they were married, and, after Ellie had obtained her exit visa, she left Bulgaria on Christmas Day in 1982.’
- ‘Securing the children's exit visas, entry permits, foster parents and sponsors was a huge administrative enterprise.’
- ‘The doctor who was also accused was released but is still in Libya because the authorities refuse to issue him an exit visa.’
- ‘Instead of creating further unrest by launching new trials, it offered the dissidents exit visas that were accepted.’
- ‘Saudis are also required to obtain an exit visa from their government in order to leave Saudi Arabia, and they must provide a reason to get it.’
- ‘Lesser-known dissidents were offered a choice of an exit visa or a trial which would put them in prison.’
- ‘All steps for issuing his exit visa had been taken, but it was still possible that the prosecution will appeal against his sentence.’
- ‘I had to leave the country on an exit permit to pursue my studies in public health.’
- ‘Iraqi citizens cannot travel abroad easily; government permission and expensive exit visas are required for foreign travel.’
- ‘Her former employers have refused to sanction her exit visa, which means for the moment that she is stuck in Qatar with no hope of escape.’
- ‘‘I also have a feeling that any request for an exit visa will be sadly refused,’ Michiko added, not sounding sad about it at all.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.