Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[attributive] In existence or operation at the current time.‘opponents of the existing political system’
real, true, genuine, authentic, verified, attested, confirmed, definite, hard, plain, clear, clear-cut, undeniable, veritableView synonyms
- ‘Which hardly seems fair since they never offered it to an existing customer like me at a new rate.’
- ‘Plans also include a physical plant addition and sprinkler upgrade to the existing building.’
- ‘He said the company did not want to alienate its existing customer base by pursuing a younger market.’
- ‘Instead, an enterprise would consume services from an existing network of available services.’
- ‘Perhaps best of all, the existing distribution infrastructure can be used for bio-diesel.’
- ‘Second, I welcome confirmation of the serious inadequacies of the existing electoral system.’
- ‘The law that was just passed, however, goes an important step beyond the previously existing rules.’
- ‘In order to be useful, this technology must work with existing network infrastructure.’
- ‘The Health Committee heard very strong evidence that police do use the existing law.’
- ‘All three expressed their delight at the news and had fought hard to retain the existing system.’
- ‘The Coalition has pledged to overhaul the current system and even scrap existing plans.’
- ‘The push for growth or reform comes when existing approaches no longer meet all the practical needs of those affected.’
- ‘One can't simply install the operating system on an existing machine, pop in a couple of peripherals and go.’
- ‘I've found the best method of marketing is to work your existing customers.’
- ‘This regulation has been designed essentially to safeguard existing rail services and customers.’
- ‘They feel already existing structures need not be replaced.’
- ‘You don't need house arrest - you just need the political will to actually enforce the existing law.’
- ‘Military and nuclear preparations add to the existing political hostility.’
- ‘We think it is necessary to smash the presently existing state.’
- ‘New hires must meet these provisions immediately, while existing staff have several years to comply.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.