Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Including or considering all elements or aspects; fully comprehensive.‘the guide outlines every bus route in exhaustive detail’
comprehensive, all-inclusive, complete, full, full-scale, all-embracing, all-encompassing, encyclopedic, thorough, in-depth, thoroughgoing, extensive, intensive, all-out, profound, far-reaching, sweeping, umbrelladefinitivedetailed, minute, meticulous, painstaking, carefulwall-to-wallView synonyms
- ‘After an exhaustive investigation, we received a full copy of the report, which was sent to us and translated for us.’
- ‘This was not an exhaustive survey but the experiences of our stranded motorists varied substantially.’
- ‘Even after going through this exhaustive process there is no guarantee that you will have chosen the right manager.’
- ‘These are only a few examples which are neither comprehensive nor exhaustive.’
- ‘After exhaustive testing they found that a long track in the circuit board had functioned as the antenna.’
- ‘There have been other articles in British newspapers but I think the above is the most exhaustive study of the lot.’
- ‘We have been taught to conduct exhaustive studies of our chosen fields.’
- ‘My list is not exhaustive, but rest assured, the most diligent research is ongoing.’
- ‘The list is by no means exhaustive but it does capture some of the main elements.’
- ‘The results of an exhaustive study into masculinity were published this week and they make for illuminating reading.’
- ‘Please be mindful that this is not an exhaustive collection, nor is this a representative sample.’
- ‘In terms of generic iconography, Alphaville is truly exhaustive in its attention to detail.’
- ‘There are plenty of books that offer an exhaustive account of those issues, and I took them to be the context for my story.’
- ‘It also explores in exhaustive detail the way Wilson was out maneuvered at Versailles and how he left a broken man.’
- ‘Her body has never been found despite exhaustive searches by police.’
- ‘This is by no means an exhaustive list - but it clearly shows that there's no such thing as a risk-free summer.’
- ‘The campaign group said it sent the Government an exhaustive memo detailing the allegations in July.’
- ‘Police were led to the stash following an exhaustive investigation, codenamed Operation Elect.’
- ‘What would constitute a special circumstance defied definition or exhaustive categorisation.’
- ‘This essay has attempted to outline his themes and methods without claiming to be an exhaustive study.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.