Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A person who puts something into effect.‘executants of the royal will’
practitioner, performer, playerView synonyms
- ‘The king's repeated affirmations of his dependence upon Buckingham meant that he was blamed for unpopular policies such as the ‘Spanish match’ of which he was merely the executant.’
- 1.1An artist or musician.‘she could play, though not an advanced executant’
entertainer, performer, trouper, showman, artistView synonyms
- ‘When Pachmann plays Chopin the music sings itself, as if without the intervention of an executant, of one who stands between the music and our hearing.’
- ‘For these reasons and many others, some persons think that ancient works should be performed, not in view of an immediate and complete artistic success, but in order to train executants, the public and composers.’
- ‘The greatest Sienese painters were among their executants, including Duccio (lost commissions between 1279 and 1295) and Ambrogio Lorenzetti.’
- ‘The guitar - at least if the player picks, rather than strums - always struck me as temperamental an instrument as the French horn, even under the hands of a decent executant.’
- ‘The topics of these lectures included English composers, English executants, and critics.’
- ‘Its four movements provide plenty of scope for executants.’
Relating to artistic creation or the performance of music.‘music is both an art and an executant skill’
- ‘I can best describe this book as a series of masterclasses at which we are, mercifully, not required to put our executant talents under scrutiny.’
Mid 19th century: from French exécutant carrying out, present participle of exécuter (see execute).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.