Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A detailed discussion of a particular point in a book, usually in an appendix.
- ‘On this last problem he supplies a long philosophical excursus, summarising contemporary Western arguments as well as notions in Nyaya philosophy.’
- ‘This reversal is the subject of Herodotus' detailed account in the long excursus he consecrates in Book 3 to the theme of the hostility between Corinth and her colony Corcyra.’
- ‘Book 2 takes the form of a massive excursus on the geography, customs, and history of Egypt, which was the next target of Persian expansionism, under Cyrus' son and successor, Cambyses.’
- ‘In lieu of that volume, he has presented excursuses on reflexivity in most of the half-dozen books he has published.’
- 1.1A digression in a written text.
deviation, detour, diversion, departure, excursusView synonyms
- ‘If this is so, far from sidelining the importance of the moral environment, the excursus through determinism will catapult it to the head of the agenda.’
- ‘This volume also includes Moloney's excursus on theories of Johannine community history.’
- ‘By way of cautionary note, I turn to a brief excursus on the work of Norman O. Brown, whom I have deliberately chosen as a representative figure from an earlier era, through which my generation lived, but an era which is now past.’
- ‘The book is divided into three parts, with seven chapters in all; the work includes also four small excursuses.’
- ‘A number of excursuses also reduce the need for repetition by producing informative essays to which cross-reference can be made.’
Early 19th century: from Latin, excursion, from excurrere run out.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.