Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A thing that produces excitation, in particular a device that provides a magnetizing current for the electromagnets in a motor or generator.
- ‘The fluctuation of hormones in any one month cycle is a big exciter of migraine.’
- ‘Fluorescein is injected intravenously, and serial retinal photographs using a special camera equipped with an exciter / barrier filter set are taken through the pupil.’
- ‘Philips Sound Solutions has recently signed on to develop a new generation of off-the-shelf exciters for automotive applications.’
- ‘An exciter in the pod tailors the parameters of the jamming signal.’
- ‘The earth under the vibration exciter was cleared of vegetation and debris and the exciter was placed directly on the cleared earth.’
- ‘In addition, the interaction between the vibration exciter and the soil, and the propagation of the vibration signal through the soil are greatly affected by the properties of the soil.’
- ‘Hooper points to research by the Kinsey Institute in America, which suggests that there are specific brain centres that control sex drive: an exciter centre, which permits arousal, and an inhibitor, which keeps it under control.’
- ‘The six processors in Ozone 3 are paragraphic equalizer, multiband dynamics, multiband harmonic exciter, multiband stereo imaging, loudness maximizer and mastering reverb.’
- ‘Armament received a shipment of ten-foot-long paper - wound tubes equipped with an electrical exciter on one end.’
- ‘Although the electric leads to the exciter were doubly shielded, they nonetheless picked up energy at 60 Hz and its harmonics from ambient fields in the laboratory.’
- ‘Paging transmitter having broadband exciter using an intermediate frequency above the transmit frequency’
- ‘Every recording studio worth its salt has an exciter or three.’
- ‘I feel akin to the writers and exciters, the people who put themselves out on the front line, let their thoughts and their hearts be known to the world.’
- ‘Then he designed a frame, and using a WorldSound kit, applied an exciter on the back to produce a stereo speaker.’
- ‘The same filter was applied to the wave file containing a sample of the ground vibration component of the calling song to generate the source signal, i.e., the signal put on the playback recorder tape for input to the vibration exciter.’
- ‘A vibration exciter was used to simulate calling song ground vibrations in playback experiments to examine vibration as a possible communication channel between calling males.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.