One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The belief that something is exceptional, especially the theory that the peaceful capitalism of the US constitutes an exception to the general economic laws governing national historical development.
- ‘The rejection of international institutions and stable alliances is a signature aspect of this militant new exceptionalism.’
- ‘This brings to an end the myth of America's exceptionalism.’
- ‘What is troubling about this rhetoric of Irish exceptionalism is that not too long ago, it had an opposite, but equally extreme, flavour.’
- ‘In this regard he draws on the historical philosophy of American exceptionalism, an attitude shared by many of his contemporaries in the United States.’
- ‘Today, a belief in human exceptionalism is distinctly out of fashion.’
- ‘These possibilities may have complicated the search for the Great American Thing and subverted theories of American exceptionalism.’
- ‘Did America's divided democracy produce the country's exceptionalism, or did a series of exceptional circumstances produce America's peculiar divided democracy?’
- ‘Chapter Two, ‘Pressures from the Bottom,’ focuses on how evidence contrary to exceptionalism was to be reconciled.’
- ‘The idea of American exceptionalism was expressed domestically in the doctrine of manifest destiny.’
- ‘Reagan was renowned for his belief in American exceptionalism.’
- ‘U.S. exceptionalism in this regard is also demonstrated by cross-national comparisons.’
- ‘Central to this was the outlook of American exceptionalism - the view that the United States was a unique society, immune to the class conflicts of Europe.’
- ‘The exceptionalism of Germany and France is less unusual than most Americans think.’
- ‘It is confusing though - the French left still seem to have a sense of national identity, of French exceptionalism.’
- ‘It represents, I believe, the best chance the SNP has to develop its exceptionalism beyond its demand for independence and into a wider platform.’
- ‘The exceptionalism of American history is thereby brought into question, with a somewhat ominous message.’
- ‘Commonality replaced conflict, and the consensus historians uncritically celebrated American exceptionalism and social peace.’
- ‘It is obvious that we can no longer rely on our exceptionalism to keep us safe.’
- ‘The author is repetitive in his claims for American exceptionalism with regard to planning.’
- ‘In pointing to the alleged exceptionalism of the United States, they fail entirely to take into account the unique role of American capitalism as the dominant world power.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.