One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person conducting a judicial or academic examination.
tester, questioner, interviewer, assessor, marker, inspectorView synonyms
- ‘This examinant asked the child how she came by this nail.’
- ‘He would be incensed at having been entrapped by an ignorant enthusiastic declaimer into an admiration of objects whose authenticity may be questioned by the first cool examinant.’
- ‘Boile hath confessed to this examinant and others that he had in Connaught 360 plough-lands and thirty-eight parsonages.’
- ‘He insisted that examinants should go again to the house of John Campbell.’
- ‘These examinants are unable to obtain access to the said books, papers and documents.’
Early 17th century: from Latin examinant- ‘weighing, testing’, from the verb examinare (see examine).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.