One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A man who was formerly a member of the armed forces.
- ‘Some of them are ex-servicemen or married to service people and they were crying as they sang it.’
- ‘The traditional system of private welfare assisting ex-servicemen and their dependants had to be recast.’
- ‘Ireland may be about to get its first paramilitary ex-servicemen's organisation.’
- ‘The Navy's list of servicemen and ex-servicemen without a home of their own includes about 19,000 people.’
- ‘After the service the ex-servicemen and women will march past the town hall and take a salute led by the Lord Lieutenant of Wiltshire.’
- ‘The mechanistic aspects of warfighting were all in the hands of Pakistani military personnel, ex-servicemen or serving instructors.’
- ‘His father is an ex-serviceman now working as a military policeman.’
- ‘There are 16,389 ex-servicemen, 157 war widows and 5,508 widows of other soldiers.’
- ‘And with so many servicemen and ex-servicemen in the town most people knew one or more of the crew.’
- ‘The GI Bill provided very cheap home ownership, loans to start up businesses, and free college tuition for ex-servicemen.’
- ‘All actions are carried out under the command of the numerous other British ex-servicemen hired by Henderson to staff the upper echelons of the special branch.’
- ‘With the constant terror threat, the need for ex-servicemen to do reserve duty is paramount.’
- ‘Included in the congregation were a military colour party, a colour party of ex-servicemen and many relatives of the deceased soldiers.’
- ‘After the First World War it employed ex-servicemen and ordered new rolling stock in large quantities in order to strengthen the national industry.’
- ‘Both ex-servicemen and members of the public have been staying in tents and caravans for over four weeks so they can reserve the house of their choice.’
- ‘The services of ex-servicemen can be utilised by the police to control cases of theft in the town.’
- ‘All funds raised by the riders will go to the Army Benevolent Fund, which provides financial and practical support for soldiers, ex-servicemen and their families in their times of need.’
- ‘But the problem has been compounded by the inability of the Legion to attract younger ex-servicemen and new lifeblood.’
- ‘The Royal British Legion offers support to ex-servicemen and women and their families who need their help.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.