Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A curve which is the locus of the centres of curvature of another curve (its involute).→ involute
- ‘On 22 January 1769 Monge wrote to Bossut explaining that he was writing a work on the evolutes of curves of double curvature.’
- ‘He gives propositions determining the centre of curvature which lead immediately to the Cartesian equation of the evolute.’
- ‘Of course the evolute of an involute of a circle is a circle.’
- ‘He defines evolutes and involutes of curves and, after giving some elementary properties, finds the evolutes of the cycloid and of the parabola.’
- ‘Hence a curve has a unique evolute but infinitely many involutes.’
Rolled outwards at the edges.‘an evolute shell’
- ‘These younger descendants differ from Goniatites in their evolute inner whorls, their wider external lobe, and their higher median saddle.’
- ‘It essentially separates early (higher scores) and later (lower scores) representatives of the species, which tended to develop evolute coiling through geologic time.’
- ‘The general shell characters are the evolute coiling and the median keel that is always higher than the lateral ones.’
- ‘Most clymeniids and contemporary goniatitids (with both evolute and involute shells) declined before the last anoxic episode, known as the Hangenberg event, which was followed by a major regression.’
- ‘The second lineage contained A. nitida, which became more involute and axially compressed on the umbilical side, and its first descendant, A. mckannai, which developed evolute coiling and a moderately wide umbilicus.’
Mid 18th century: from Latin evolutus, past participle of evolvere roll out (see evolve).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.