One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Wicked or frightening in appearance.‘a huge man with evil-looking eyes’‘an evil-looking mask’
menacing, threatening, ominous, forbidding, baleful, frightening, eerie, alarming, disturbing, disquieting, dark, black, suggestive of evilView synonyms
- ‘An evil-looking black pig dozed in the rubble.’
- ‘The photo gallery showcases the world's most evil-looking pets.’
- ‘An evil-looking dragon tattooed on his skin testifies to the man he became.’
- ‘Woke up this morning to a rather evil-looking sky: grey, dark, light rain falling.’
- ‘They soon established that the evil-looking chemical cloud was not dangerous and worked for two hours to vent it out into the atmosphere.’
- ‘The men were scowling, evil-looking thugs.’
- ‘While exploring his barn, John finds an old door, and behind it a rather evil-looking scarecrow.’
- ‘The leader of the fishermen is vicious, sneaky, and evil-looking.’
- ‘There are many evil-looking things, such as buzzsaws and knives and lasers lying around.’
- ‘All of them carry long and particularly evil-looking swords with serrated edges.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.