One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Wholly.‘my mother was fond of her and I shall be every whit as fond’
- ‘Their gowns were every whit as costly as those of the ladies.’
- ‘But the Genevan church showed itself every whit as masterful and dogmatic as its Roman rival, and its actions were equally justified by an appeal to Divine authority.’
- ‘And the purification is by the communication of a new life and nature in which we are clean every whit.’
- ‘Navigating successfully through these novel assumptions will take every whit of mature perspective and human relations expertise that US military leaders can muster.’
- ‘Elvis made more money but Boots Roots was every whit as successful.’
- ‘It would make it every whit as absurd as the ancient system of Pagan polytheism, which, admitting a plurality of deities, allowed an intercommunity among them and their worshipers.’
- ‘Augier replied in language every whit as cutting as that used by his critic.’
- ‘I was an incomparably weaker man than Raffles, while every whit as wicked.’
- ‘The builders of the Pyramids were every whit as good as Newton.’
- ‘Miss Braham was every whit as charming and seductive as she had been, some years ago, in the analogous part of Patience.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.