One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used to emphasize that every member of a group is included.‘unbelievers, every last one of them’
each, each and every, every singleView synonyms
- ‘A bit too much emphasis was paid on hitting every single scene in the book, to the detriment of a few scenes.’
- ‘Because those rights are the rights of every single member of this United Kingdom.’
- ‘What political biography written last or this century has included every last detail.’
- ‘The bad news is that every single byte of data on the hard drive has been completely and irretrievably lost.’
- ‘Practically every single thing said by every single character will make you laugh.’
- ‘They like to analyse, with flip charts, every single detail of every single part of the car.’
- ‘Training appears to rear its head on almost every single Inquiry document that I have read.’
- ‘She's frightened every single moment of every single day for herself and her family.’
- ‘My mother, just to be cruel, had insisted that every single item be put back where it belonged.’
- ‘He can play in every single competition and every single league all over the world.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.