One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A man's formal suit to be worn in the evening.‘he was dressed in an immaculate evening suit and a crisp white shirt’
- ‘She was dressed in a beautifully tailored man's evening suit, complete with top hat, everything black on her right side and white on her left (including the hat), and she had even blacked the right side of her face and whitened the left.’
- ‘I'll even give you my evening suit, if you'll give me your nightie and doll.’
- ‘Even the ticket touts wear evening suits and bow ties, begging you for ‘any invitation’.’
- ‘I did things that felt terribly alien - it was like putting a poem in a dinner jacket or an evening suit or something.’
- ‘At Mrs. Morel's suggestion, Paul wears William's old evening suit when he is invited to dinner parties.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.