Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] An oil extracted from the seeds of the evening primrose. It contains gamma-linolenic acid and is used in complementary and alternative medicine, especially in the treatment of premenstrual syndrome.‘at night I take evening primrose oil, vitamin E, and St John's wort’
- ‘Try one tablespoon of flaxseed oil and 1,300 mg of evening primrose oil daily.’
- ‘If that doesn't help, try adding 1,000 milligrams of evening primrose oil three times a day.’
- ‘This study of 56 symptomatic women found evening primrose oil to be no more effective than placebo in controlling vasomotor symptoms.’
- ‘Evening primrose oil (EPO) comes from the seeds of the yellow primrose, a North American wildflower.’
- ‘She recommends taking 3 to 4 g of evening primrose oil daily.’
- ‘After years of treating ourselves to herbal cures such as royal jelly and evening primrose oil, the nation is now under the spell of St John's wort.’
- ‘For example, for aching joints, you should take evening primrose oil and increase your intake of oily fish.’
- ‘Such products include salmon, shark liver oil, linseed, borage, canola, and Evening Primrose Oil.’
- ‘Evening primrose oil, enriched in the anti-inflammatory, omega-6 gamma-linolenic acid, was reported to relieve tremor.’
- ‘Evening primrose oil is often used in Europe to treat eczema, although the results of controlled studies are inconsistent.’
- ‘Many different methods have been used to help these people, such as the use of zinc supplements, copper supplements, nicotinamide, evening primrose oil and others.’
- ‘Further studies are warranted to examine the possible therapeutic effects of evening primrose oil for hot flashes.’
- ‘Evening primrose oil is said to contain unknown anti-coagulant substances.’
- ‘The most investigated source of essential fatty acid has been evening primrose oil, which contains 9% linolenic acid.’
- ‘Evening primrose oil, black cohosh, a new lover - we can't prescribe those.’
- ‘Like evening primrose oil, it contains an essential fatty acid called GLA (gamma-linolenic acid).’
- ‘Other agents that have been used include evening primrose oil which has been studied in Europe.’
- ‘It also contains antibiotic aloe vera and moisturising evening primrose oil.’
- ‘So it is a good idea to supplement these nutrients alongside fish oil and evening primrose oil.’
- ‘Evening primrose oil has been praised for centuries for its healing powers in a wide range of ailments.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.