Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A class held in the evening, forming part of a course for adults.‘evening classes in creative writing’
- ‘Some days later, I was on my way to teach at an evening class when the news of the crash appeared on a placard.’
- ‘There's a 2pm lesson at the school down the road, an evening class to arrange, homework to be done.’
- ‘Perhaps go to an evening class which is related to work and will help you get a promotion.’
- ‘The year after leaving university I started a Spanish evening class: it felt strange not having a structured programme of learning.’
- ‘Tracey, a medical secretary at York Hospital, is passionate about hats but never dreamt of making one until she saw an ad for a millenary evening class at York College.’
- ‘Her mother was a dress-maker and, while still at secondary school, she took an evening class in dress design.’
- ‘She has also started to attend an evening class at Bolton Community College's Manchester Road centre.’
- ‘This could be anything from an Open University degree course, or an evening class, to church ministry or charity work with the poor street people.’
- ‘Some of the women had constructed elaborate stories, or had contingency plans organized, to explain their nightly absences ranging from a nightly baby-sitting job to attending an evening class.’
- ‘There she saw teenage girl servants learning their alphabet at an evening class after a 12-hour day cleaning and washing.’
- ‘From good manners stems opportunity, she says, whether the person involved is a rehabilitated offender on Re-Start, or a schoolchild attending her evening class.’
- ‘The victim went to confront the youths after they started harassing students walking to the evening class he was running at the Church of God of Prophecy in Lynwood Road on Tuesday last week.’
- ‘Kent Adult Education's Spanish evening class will be held at the Discovery Centre, in Southfleet Road, Swanscombe.’
- ‘A group of students taking an evening class in a church in Tooting had to lock themselves inside the hall after being terrorised by a gang of youths on Tuesday night.’
- ‘It started as an evening class held once a week by the Workers Education Association.’
- ‘A pottery evening class will be held at Gravesend Adult Education Centre, Darnley Road, Gravesend, on Tuesdays at 7.30 pm from November 4.’
- ‘He hopes to join an evening class in basic plumbing.’
- ‘The American actor took an evening class in right-wing political theory, became the governor of California and ended up in the White House.’
- ‘He once taught me at an evening class, when I was doing a diploma in philosophy, and it has remained one of the most profound educational experiences of my life.’
- ‘She must have just got back from classes, or hasn't left for her evening class yet.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.