Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The process by which water is transferred from the land to the atmosphere by evaporation from the soil and other surfaces and by transpiration from plants.
- ‘Tropical forests also maintain a balance of species by providing pest control services, and they regulate surface temperatures and local and regional climates through the process of evapotranspiration.’
- ‘Water use or evapotranspiration is composed of two parts, transpiration from the plant and evaporation from the soil surface.’
- ‘In the simulation of stomatal conductance, the Jarvis model has been applied widely to studies of evapotranspiration, land surface processes and the biogeochemical cycle.’
- ‘Moreover, fewer trees in cities reduce shading and evapotranspiration, in which plants use up heat by, essentially, sweating.’
- ‘It categorises climate by balancing the rainfall, potential evapotranspiration and soil water-holding capacity.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.