Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A processed form of milk that has had some of the liquid removed by evaporation.
- ‘While fresh milk is the way to go, in an emergency situation it's good to have skim milk powder and canned evaporated milk on hand.’
- ‘Stirring after each ingredient addition, add brown sugar, flour, salt, 2 cups of the pumpkin purée, cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, evaporated milk and half and half.’
- ‘Combine the eggs and cream or evaporated milk with salt and pepper to taste.’
- ‘The venture will see both companies work together to build a production facility in Nigeria, which will supply evaporated milk and milk powder to the local Nigerian market.’
- ‘For this dessert, we lightened a classic flan by using fat-free evaporated milk and a combination of whole eggs and egg whites.’
- ‘Only major difference I made was that I used sweetened condensed milk instead of evaporated milk - and adjusted the amounts of milk and sugar a bit, so that I would obtain the same level of sweetness.’
- ‘Do not use evaporated milk, which is the same thing but without sugar.’
- ‘The aisle also contains items typically found in the baking aisle: pancake mix, syrup, coffee and teas, cocoa mix and evaporated milk.’
- ‘It was as if she'd always known, someday grandpa would require evaporated milk to save his live so she stockpiled it and this, this was the culmination of all her dreams.’
- ‘Ian woke Nick and they ate a light breakfast of canned peaches and fried corned beef washed down with a tin of reconstituted evaporated milk.’
- ‘Add the corn syrup and evaporated milk and bring to a boil.’
- ‘Add evaporated milk while whisking constantly and add spices and salt and pepper to taste.’
- ‘The resulting thick liquid is then either given a high temperature treatment to sterilize it, making evaporated milk; or sweetened to preserve it, making condensed milk.’
- ‘Homemade formulas based on cow's milk, goat's milk, and/or evaporated milk are nutritionally inadequate.’
- ‘Add evaporated milk, skim milk, spices and flavorings, and blend well.’
- ‘Another significant ingredient export is skim milk powder, used for evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk and animal feed, in addition to other foods.’
- ‘The most popular food continues to be Mongolian tea, which is now made from an infusion of tea, evaporated milk, nutmeg and butter.’
- ‘Another way to reduce the fat in pumpkin pie is to use 2% milk instead of the canned evaporated milk most recipes call for.’
- ‘When I substituted lower-fat dairy products, like half-and-half and evaporated milk, they caused the sauce to curdle.’
- ‘Now, while I admit to substituting evaporated milk for cream, I still contend that there was something amuck with the recipe. The paternal unit refused to go anywhere near it.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.