One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Vanish or die away.‘like the rainbow's lovely form evanishing amid the storm’
come to an end, cease to exist, fade, fade away, melt away, blow over, run its course, ebb, die out, evaporate, vanish, peter out, draw to a close, disappear, finish, end, cease, terminateView synonyms
- ‘A satellite, seen from the earth, ought to change its colour, and at last evanish in violet.’
- ‘At last the path evanishes from view.’
- ‘The darkness of the night evanishes at the approach of the sun.’
- ‘He has described Truth as a colour so faint as to be scarcely perceptible, and almost evanishing from the vision.’
- ‘The kangaroo immediately adjourned, and evanished below the horizon.’
Middle English: from Old French evaniss-, lengthened stem of the verb evanir ‘vanish’, from Latin evanescere ‘die away’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.