Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The Basque language.
- ‘Which is why, although his lyrics are primarily in the Basque language Euskara, his band Dub Manifest's tunes draw on reggae, dub, rock, rap and anything else he can get his hands on - and chock-full of fiery but informed rhetoric.’
- ‘They've got their own language, Euskara, and anyone who doesn't speak it is technically not a Basque.’
- ‘The Basque language, Euskara (also spelled Euskera) has ancient origins that have remained obscure.’
- ‘In Euskara, the language of the Basques and one of the oldest oldest European languages, these towns are called Donosti and Pasaia but in the more familiar Castilian they are better known as San Sebastian and Pasajes San Pedro.’
- ‘It may be useful to note that there are 6.5 million active speakers of Catalan, 580,000 speakers of Euskara, and 3 to 4 million speakers of Galego (Galician). 10,000 people use Irish as their principal spoken language.’
The name in Basque.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.