One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who admires Europe or is in favour of participation in the European Union.
- ‘This is something of a turnaround for one of the most Europhile countries in the EU.’
- ‘Even the most ardent Europhile will admit that the above slogan could take some time to catch on.’
- ‘He is a keen Europhile, but his anger at how Poland is being treated was clear.’
- ‘This most Europhile of Prime Ministers insists he has secured major concessions in the British interest.’
- ‘A Rostrevor woman herself, Monica, daughter of Gertie and the late Matt Murphy, is also a Europhile.’
- ‘Can Europhile claims of peace, harmony, prosperity and the benevolent nature of the EU be proved?’
- ‘I defy even the most ardent Europhile to defend this.’
- ‘He doesn't want a picture of him nibbling on a baguette to overtake the effete image of the Europhile windsurfing.’
- ‘Frankly, a Europhile would have to be demented to take comfort in this graph.’
- ‘If Eva is a cynical and superior Europhile, husband Franklin is smug and Republican, with a Rockwellian view of family life.’
- ‘From a committed Europhile, that's honest advice.’
- ‘He could then give up the singing career, and reinvent himself as a stentorian Europhile liberal commentator.’
- ‘No Europhile - or for that matter non-Europhile urban articulate sophisticate - could have said it better.’
- ‘The well-known Europhile pledged he would not seek to change the party's sceptical position on the EU.’
- ‘The only sense in which Europe has fallen behind is its failure to live up to unrealistic Europhile expectations.’
- ‘The academic scene you hang about in is all too Europhile for my taste.’
- ‘His Europhile followers console themselves with the belief Gordon hasn't gone cold on the concept of a single currency.’
- ‘He also voted against the pro-EU Maastricht treaty, only to transform himself later into a rabid Europhile.’
- ‘Current political debates notwithstanding, J S Bach, it seems, can be claimed as a Europhile ahead of his time.’
- ‘Over the years, the party has seen itself (and has also been seen) as the most Europhile of all the political parties.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.