Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Chromosome material which does not stain strongly except during cell division. It represents the major genes and is involved in transcription.Compare with heterochromatin
- ‘Position-effect variegation results from the juxtaposition of euchromatin and heterochromatin by chromosome rearrangement or transposon insertion.’
- ‘This can be expected, since different chromosomes in a genome can have different organizations of genes, euchromatin, and heterochromatin.’
- ‘The wavy line represents euchromatin of chromosome 2.’
- ‘Further, in most organisms there is a virtual absence of exchange in heterochromatin and a reduction of exchange frequencies in euchromatin that lies near chromosomal elements such as centromeres and telomeres.’
- ‘The greater proximity of the centromere could cause suppression of recombination in the proximal euchromatin of fusion chromosomes.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.